15th Century Baptismal Font at the Church of Saint George,
Fordington, Dorchster, Dorset, England
To release amplet and access page for source code - press here.
|Patron Saint||Saint George|
|Location||Fordington, Dorset, England|
|Font location in church||South transept|
|Drainage||Centre hole in bowl|
|Date of On-site Visit||12th July 2004|
Font: of Purbeck Stone, octagonal, bowl with quatrfoil enclosing shield on five sides, moulded under side with paterae, the edge with damage caused by removal of the original lock, panelled stem and moulded base.
Francis Bond, Fons and Font Covers, published by Henry Frowde, Oxford University Press 1908
John Hutchins, The history and antiquities of the County of Dorset, 3rd ed., edited by William Shipp and J.W. Hodson, Westminster: J.B. Nichols, 1861-1873, Vol. 2, pp. 799-800.
John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner, The buildings of England: Dorset. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972, pp. 179-180.
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), An inventory of historical monuments in the County of Dorset, Vol. 2, South-East Dorset. London: HMSO, 1970, pt. 1, pp. 110-112.
Terence and Eliza Sackett, Francis Frith's Dorset Churches. Salisbury: Frith Book Co., 2000, p. 59.
|Font Shape||Octagonal bowl with quatrfoil enclosing shield on each face||Total Height (without plinth or cover)||102|
|Basin Shape (outside)||Octagonal||Diameter of basin (including rim)||83 cm|
|Basin Shape (inside)||Circular||Diameter of basin (not including rim)||55 cm|
|Basin lining||Unlined||Width of rim||14 cm|
|Base Shape||octagonal panelled stem and moulded base||Outside Height of Basin||33 cm|
|Number of pieces||3||Inside depth of Basin||27 cm|
View of St Georges with
the spire of All Saints and tower of St. Peter's beyond
View of St. Georges
taken from Fordington Green
View of the font and children's area in the South Transept
View of the font from the Chancel steps
View of the front of the font looking south
View of the left side of the font
View of the rear of the font
View of the rights side of the font
To one side of the south door of St Georges is what Bond refers to as a fontlet. Press here for further details
|Open Churches Trust|